Research Triangle Park, N.C. — In continuing to develop new training offerings in self-directed, distance education, the International Society of Automation (ISA) announced a new online, instructor-assisted course that reviews the knowledge and skill areas tested on the Control Systems Engineer (CSE) Professional Engineer (PE) examination.
The new course — Control Systems Engineer (CSE) PE Exam Review Course (EN00E – Online) — provides the same comprehensive, in-depth review and instructional quality of ISA’s classroom-led CSE PE course, yet enables students the advantage of studying at their own pace with 24/7 access to the course materials throughout the duration of the course. The offering of this new course begins on May 5, 2014.
Students can access prerecorded training modules, receive and submit homework assignments and take sample tests online any time of the day or night. Live, prescheduled question-and-answer sessions with the instructor and other students encourage interactive discussions and ensure all key issues or concerns are addressed. In addition, if students have any additional questions to raise or matters to discuss, instructors are always accessible through email. The final exam is also taken and scored online.
Students taking the course will be able to:
• Follow the guidelines for taking the CSE exam
• Identify the breadth of the knowledge and skills areas covered
• Apply recognized standards for symbols and documents
• Recognize the basic calculation techniques for measurement devices
• Apply process variable measurements and sensor selection
• Compare the various final control elements/valves
• Explain basic process control loops: their configuration, operation, and performance
• Follow discrete logic in motor and interlock control
• Describe various signal conversion and wiring arrangements
• Compare various installation methods and techniques
• Determine material requirements from physical parameters
• Use safety instrumented basics
• Interpret system scope statements and apply to design needs
All technical subjects and skill areas on the CSE PE exam are covered during the 12-week course period. Below is the week-to-week schedule.
• Week 1: CSE Professional Engineer Overview & Control Systems Concepts
• Week 2: Sensor Characteristics & Pressure Measurement
• Week 3: Level & Temperature Measurement
• Week 4: Flow Measurement
• Week 5: Signals & Transmission, Smart Transmitters, and Wiring Considerations
• Week 6: Control Valve Types, Characteristics, Sizing, Calculations, Selection & Installation
• Week 7: Pressure Relief Devices, Variable Speed Drives & System Documentation
• Week 8: Control Types & Characteristics
• Week 9: Sample Loop Problems & Control Loop Tuning
• Week 10: Control Room Ergonomics, System Architecture, Configuration & Programming
• Week 11: Safety Instrumented Systems & Code Application (ISA, ANSI, NEC, NFPA)
• Week 12: Final Exam
To register for this new online ISA course, which begins May 5, 2014, visit the course registration page at www.isa.org/events-conferences/events-calendar/event-details/?productId=113812.