Thanks to all the firms that applied this year for the inaugural Best Multidiscipline A/E/ Service Firms To Work For list. We were excited that 29 firms applied and 10 were named to our top list. See below for detailed rankings and information about these remarkable employers of choice.
The following firms were named honorable mentions: E.K. Fox & Associates, Hargrove and Associates, Inc., Khafra Engineering Consultants, Inc., and Ross & Baruzzini, Inc.
Two firms outshined others in specific categories. Please congratulate GATE, LLC, for its excellence and achievement of the following superlative awards:
Best Employee Survey Score, Best Training Program, Best Collaborative Environment, and Best Recruiting & Retention Program. Pond & Company is honored with the Best Employee Recognition Program.
About the ranking program
All firms that applied completed a corporate survey and invited employees to complete an employee satisfaction survey. Submitted information was compared against criteria set by Stagnito Media and Zweig White, a research and consulting firm that executed the Best Firms To Work For program on behalf of Stagnito Media. A judging panel finalized ranks for the top three, prized slots on the list. In addition to conducting the research for this program, ZweigWhite also provides strategic insight for firms that want to become a Best Firm To Work For or to advance beyond their current position in the rankings; contact ZweigWhite for more details.
|Pamela Britton, principal
The Knowledge Environment, LLC
|John Felkins P.E., owner
|Nancy J Usrey, associate vice president
Kansas City, Mo.
If your firm didn’t apply this year, or if you didn’t make the list, you are encouraged to apply next year. To be sure you don’t miss out on the 2010 entry information, sign up today for our Contact List. Go to www.gostructural.com/bestfirm and click on the link to complete the form, and we’ll send you notice when the 2010 applications are posted. One important note to newcomers: Rest assured that the names of firms that apply but do not make the list will not be revealed. Hope to hear from you in 2010!
Best Multidiscipline A/E Service Firms To Work For
Key: Rank, Firm, Headquarters (Branch offices), Website, Number of employees, Areas of practice
- Hankins and Anderson, Inc., Glen Allen, VA (2), www.haengineers.com, 182, Federal building design
- GATE, LLC, Houston, TX, www.gatellc.com, 24, Oil and gas engineering with focus areas in materials, corrosion, production chemistry, and flow assurance
- Smith Seckman Reid, Inc., Nashville, TN (12), www.ssr-inc.com, 525, Commercial, corrections, education, government, healthcare, industrial, infrastructure, lab and research, science and technology, sports and entertainment, commissioning and sustainable solutions
- Pond & Company, Norcross, GA (4), www.pondco.com, 138, Federal and municipal facilies, design-build; aviation vertical and horizontal, design-build; transportation roadway design and improvement; community and urban development and planning; bulk fuels facilities, design-build; bulk fuels integrity and compliance management; and construction management
- Allana Buick & Bers, Inc., Palo Alto, CA (6), www.abbae.com, 95, Analytical design and consulting services with a focus on building envelope, roofing and waterproofing systems within healthcare, commercial, education, civic, hospitality, industrial, and residential market segments
- USKH Inc., Anchorage, AK (8), www.uskh.com, 157, Architecture services, including education, institutional, military, and commercial building design; civil engineering services, including transportation, utility, environmental, site and land development engineering; structural, electrical, and mechanical engineering; environmental and permitting services; planning; landscape architecture; and land surveying
- Merrick & Company, Aurora, CO (7), www.merrick.com, 425, Engineering, architecture, surveying, design-build, and geospatial solutions
- Albert Kahn Family of Companies, Detroit, MI (3), www.albertkahn.com, 212, Architecture, engineering, planning, design, and management
- Ulteig Engineers, Fargo, ND (6), www.ulteig.com, 402, Energy, civil engineering, building services, and land services
- H2M Architects & Engineers, Melville, NY (1), www.h2m.com, 220, MEP, architecture, structural engineering, civil engineering, and wastewater and water and environmental engineering for private sector, industry, commercial, and municipal clients
Top 2 Small Firms (<100 employees)
- GATE, LLC
- Allana Buick & Bers, Inc.
The GATE team is proud of its annual sponsorship and participation the BP MS-150. A 150-mile bike ride from Houston to Austin to raise money for and awareness of Multiple Sclerosis. Participants in this year’s ride included (from left) Dave Libiez and Brent Dampman (both GATE clients from Shell Oil) and GATE employees Howard Duhon and Karthik Annadorai.
Top 5 Mid-sized Firms (100-299 employees)
- Hankins and Anderson, Inc.
- Pond & Company
- USKH Inc.
- Albert Kahn Family of Companies
- H2M Architects & Engineers
At Hankins and Anderson, Inc., having fun is a part of the firm’s culture. Last Halloween, a spirited group of employees dressed up as each of the characters from the popular NBC show, “The Office.”
Top 3 Large Firms (>300 employees)
- Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
- Merrick & Company
- Ulteig Engineers
Smith Seckman Reid, Inc., provides training to its employees. The firm ranked third overall and first in the large firm category as a Best Multidiscipline Firm To Work For.